Friday, May 16, 2008

Creating Space


This question popped in my head a few days ago while showering (the time in my day when I do my best thinking…which though thought provoking, requires a lot of hot water).

Could I create space for God to use me more?

A few weeks ago at our church, they showed a small drama presentation of a day in the life of a young "normal" man. He woke up in the morning and acknowledged God through his devotional time, looked to God during an evening Bible Study with other Christian friends, but literally took God out of all other daily interactions with people and the circumstances that surrounded them. This tugged at me a little. Though I truly try to focus on God in all I do, and will even receive promptings from the Holy Spirit (acting on only a few…slacker), I often tend to reason my way out of such a signal. My excuse (9 times out of 10 according to the Gallop Poll)- Not Enough Time! The inner dialogue of reasoning steps in, "I would love to hold this door for this single Mom approaching with her hands full, but I am already late myself and better be on my way." Or as I am driving down the highway and see a car on the shoulder with its hazards beckoning me; "Does that person need help with their car? Yes they do, but stopping may cause me to miss church and that is very important."

You see, I miss God ordained opportunities to be God's ambassador (Ephesians 6:20) because my time table is too strict. Yes it is evident that other factors play a role in these decisions as well (e.g. lack of risk on my part, flat out disobedience, etc.), but I can't help wonder how I might react if more time was allotted. What if I allowed myself to run fifteen minutes early to everything I do? Could I create space for God to use me more? Do I allow God to use me as He sees fit, or do I fill my day with busyness (especially Christian busy work) and run at such a quick pace that I fail to see the opportunity for divine conversations.. possibly life changing conversations or interactions that affect (and infect) not only the person, but my heart as well? The cost? A couple of minutes, tops. Jesus was always interrupted wherever he went, yet he always made time to be used by God for His purposes. I understand this is Jesus we are talking about, and his sole business was the Father's business, not to mention he created the heavens in the earth out of space (he knows all about space) but try to hang with me on this one.

Mark 1:35-39 (NIV)
35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
36 Simon and his companions went to look for him,
37 and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!"
38 Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else--to the nearby villages--so I can preach there also. That is why I have come."
39 So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.

Even his time with the Father (His Lifeline) was interrupted, yet his mission was clear and he allowed flexibility to intertwine with his strategy. Strategic and planned…YES! But always with an open heart that is flexible and adheres to the promptings of The Holy Sprit.

No comments:

ShareThis